Saturday, November 20, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 19

Today, I am thankful for good music.


I'm not sure what I would do without music. All throughout school, I was never able to study in quiet places. The library was my least favorite place to be. I love having background noise whenever I'm doing anything whether it's studying, working, blogging or just sitting around doing nothing. Good music keeps me going and sometimes sparks that creative idea. I am the world's worst singer so I only sing (or rap) in the comfort of my own car/home with no one else around. Stefan's the only person that has heard me sing and I'm gonna keep it that way. But I love singing along to a good song... or rapping all the lyrics to my favorite Jay-Z song. Although I have no musical talent whatsoever, I can appreciate music for what it brings to my life and how it can instantly change my mood for the better.


While hip hop and rap are my favorites, I have an appreciation for all types of music. My iPod will probably surprise (or even frighten) you because of the random playlists. You may hear a song by the Dixie Chicks followed by Pearl Jam, Kenny G, Coldplay, or Snoop Dogg.


Like most kids growing up in Seattle, I definitely had a grunge era.... Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were my favorites. Then I quickly fell in love with hip hop. I'm not a big fan of the rap and hip hop you hear on the radio all the time. Some of those artists drive me crazy and I don't think they have as much talent as their ego tells them they do. I love hearing songs that come out for the first time, quickly picking my favorites and then not listening to the radio for fear that they'll play it out. I rarely listen to the radio (AM/FM) as it is. I prefer Sirius/XM where I can pick the genre and not have to worry about hearing the same song every 10 minutes.


Some of my favorite artists...

Jay-Z
Amos Lee
Talib Kweli
Jazmine Sullivan
Anthony Hamilton
Alicia Keys
Ledisi
Coldplay
Mos Def
Raphael Saadiq
Jill Scott
Lalah Hathaway
Chrisette Michele
Musiq Soulchild
Outkast
Dave Mathews Band
India Arie
Dwele
Charlie Wilson
Tim McGraw
Maxwell
Notorious BIG
Kem


And pretty much any rap/hip hop/R&B from the 90's... I can never get sick of listening to that stuff... Snoop, Warren G, Nas, Salt n Pepa, Tupac, LL Cool J, Boyz to Men, En Vogue, The Dove Shack, Sir Mix-a-Lot, New Edition, Foxy Brown, Dr. Dre... I could go on forever. :)

No comments: