Tuesday, June 14, 2011

pizza.

I have a confession to make. 

I'm obsessed with pizza. 


It's my favorite food by far, and if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, I'm pretty sure pizza would be the thing I would pick. Cherries would be a close second. Followed by crab legs. But pizza would definitely be my first choice.


I've realized over the past few months that I could be am a pizza connoisseur. Seriously. Whenever we go to a new restaurant and I don't know what to get, I always go for the pizza. I'm not sure if I'm just waiting to find my new favorite, or if I'm just terrible at venturing outside of my comfort zone. I love pizza. 


This isn't going to be a very exciting post, rather, it will probably just point out how crazy and obsessed I am, and what a dull and boring life I lead. I can't believe I'm devoting an entire post to pizza. Anyway--- here goes...


What I like:
  • Thin crust (but not too thin where it tastes like a cracker)
  • A blend of cheeses (plain old mozzarella is too boring, unless it's fresh mozzarella on a margherita pizza)
  • Pineapple
  • A good sauce makes a perfect pizza
  • Cooked in a brick or wood fired oven


What I don't like:
  • Thick crust (I don't want to wait an hour for my pizza to cook)
  • Weird toppings (and no, pineapple is not weird)
  • Too much grease on the top (probably why I don't usually opt for meat toppings)
  • Crust (yes, I leave the crust on the plate like a little kid)


My favorite restaurant pizzas (in no particular order, because I realize that I don't have just one favorite):
  • Grimaldis (cheese only)
  • Oreganos (pineapple + cheese)
  • Howards (a family favorite in Montana-- my family would probably disown me if I didn't include this one)
  • NYPD 


When Stefan and I went to New York a couple years ago, we went to the original Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge. We waited for about 45 minutes outside (in December), and it was DEFINITELY worth the wait. New York definitely has the best pizza. 

I actually waited for 3 hours once for a pizza. Pizzeria Bianco in downtown Phoenix is apparently pretty famous. Not famous enough to wait 3 hours though. It was good, but not that good. 

The frequency of my pizza consumption will probably catch up to me my belly some day because I eat it several times a month. I had a quattro formaggio pizza from Piatti in the U-Village on Sunday with Jordan, and then tonight we had a Naked Pizza, which is a new franchise concept that just opened in Arizona. It was good for being a "healthy" pizza. 

At least once a week Stefan and I have a conversation that goes something like this:

Julie: What do you wanna do for dinner?
Stefan: I don't know, what do you feel like?
Julie: You probably don't want what I want.
Stefan: No, we're not having pizza again.

What's YOUR favorite pizza or food obsession??

No comments: