Tuesday, November 30, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 29

Today, I am thankful for my extended family.


Have I ever mentioned how much I love my family? I have a very LARGE family.... my dad's parents had so many siblings that I don't even know if I can name them all. German Catholics. Yah, they know how to make babies I guess. 


When we went to a family reunion in Portland several years ago, my dad was the emcee. A guy that likes to be the center of attention and talks a lot... emcee? Really? He was awesome. But wanna know what was even more awesome? HUNDREDS of Voellers. So many people I had never even seen or heard of in my life. 


I love family reunions. With everyone so spread out, it makes it difficult to keep up with people you don't see on a regular basis. We used to have family reunions pretty regularly with my dad's siblings and their families. SO... MUCH... FUN. Those were some of the best memories I had growing up. Sand castle contests, talent shows, we always had the best time. After my uncle Kenn passed away, everything sort of fell apart.... literally. Unfortunately, we don't have any of those family reunions anymore, but that doesn't take away my love and thankfulness for my extended family-- aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, etc. I love them all dearly.


On my mom's side of the family, I also have several aunts, uncles, cousins and second cousins. Family reunions in Montana at the annual pig roast and spending time out at my grandparents house on the lake were always so much fun. I miss my grandparents so much, but am thankful for the many memories we shared.


And finally, as part of my extended-family, I couldn't be more thankful for my in-laws. My mother-in-law Ghislaine, father-in-law Sellas, brother-in-law Romuald, sister-in-law Wendy, niece Alexi and SO many other aunts, uncles and cousins. I would be here a week if I listed out everyone!! I had the chance to meet a majority of the French family on Stefan's mom's side when we were in France several years ago and Stefan's dad's family when we went to a family reunion in North Carolina a few years ago. As our Christmas present this year, Stefan's parents are paying everyones way to go back to the Thorne family reunion next year. I couldn't be more excited! (And don't worry, I didn't spell my last name wrong.... that's a post for another day!) 


I love my family and extended family more than words could ever describe. 

No comments: