Tuesday, November 16, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 15

Today, I am thankful for my job.


If you would've asked me in May of 2004 where I thought I would be in 6 years, I guarantee I wouldn't have told you I'd be working for Progressive Insurance as an Instructional Designer. I wouldn't have told you anything close to that. I thought I would've taken a year off and then gone back to graduate school for either school counseling or clinical psychology. Boy, was I wrong.


When I applied for and accepted the position as a claims adjuster for Progressive in August of 2004, I never thought I would be in my third role with the company, living in Arizona with a Masters in Adult Education six years later. If a psychic told me that, I would've told them they were crazy. 


I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason and I'm so grateful for the opportunities I've been given at Progressive. Working as a claims adjuster was not the most glamorous of jobs, but it definitely taught me a lot about working with customers and the importance of a balanced work/home life (which I did not have). When I became a corporate trainer in Arizona, it taught me how to effectively speak in front of large groups and understand the basics of project management and taught me a lot about working with a team. As an instructional designer, I continue to learn how to manage my time effectively, working on multiple projects at a time, while learning the software and trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.


I'm so thankful for the ability to work from home on a regular basis, and for the lasting personal and professional relationships I've bulit. I love Progressive and I'm grateful for all of the opportunities I've been given in the last six years.






No comments: